The night starts here... forget your name... forget your fear...
You drop a coin... into the sea... and shout out "Please come back to me"...
You name your child... after your fear... and tell them "I have brought you here"...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

These Suprêmes are Supremely... Seriously


Julie and Julia, is by far one of the best movies I have seen in my life; and consequently has sparked my interested in the individual Julia Child (Julie Powell was just a bit too melodramatic for me ><). And in my obsession stage, when I saw her "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" two volume set, I simply couldn't help myself, however my bank account does want to slap me...

And the first recipe that i've chosen to try is Suprêmes de Volaille aux Champignons, or in layman (aka english) terms, Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms, Red Wine and Cream.

It was DELICIOUS, however I did mess with it a bit, I am ever terrible at following recipes...

so here we are, Julia Child's Suprêmes de Volaille aux Champignon:

Ingredients:

Le (la?) Poulet:
4 Chicken Breasts, or 2 large ones in my case.
a few drops of lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
Butter, alot. (ALOT) like 4 tbsp O.O

Le (la?) Jus:

5 tbsp of butter (however I just reused the end of the chicken butter, just adding a bit more if needed)
1 tbsp minced shallot, or spring onion ( I just used a small handful of green onions)
250g sliced mushrooms, or really however much you want in the sauce to mushroom ratio.
some salt, if you want
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 white, or brown stock
1 cup cream
salt and pepper
lemon juice, as needed

(I forgot the wine >> and the stock completely until I was writing this up)




And how you do it:

Rub the chicken breast with a few drops of lemon juice, depending on your taste buds, and the salt and pepper.

Heat the butter in an oven proof dish until foaming, roll the chicken in the butter, (from here i changed the traditional recipe, Julia's way-) cover the chicken in baking paper and put into a HOT oven. After 6 minutes touch the top of the breast, of it's still soft, its not done. You want it to be springy to the touch. Set it aside covered in al-foil.



Taxi's way- simply fry the chicken over the stove, until just done. DON'T over cook it because breast has a tendency to become very dry when over cooked. ( I simply found that, maybe it was my breasts, but it took 12 minutes for the chicken to be half cooked, I figured it would just be easier to fry it, because then you also brown the chicken, instead of having a pale white fillet to serve.)


Anyway, with the chicken to the side, if you need more butter melt it into the pre-used skillet, and add your shallots/ spring onions, and fry for a few moments, then add the mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes without browning.





Pour in the wine and stock on a high heat, quickly boiling the liquid away until it is almost syrupy. Then add the cream and boil until slightly thickened.




Take your sauce off the heat and add salt, pepper and lemon juice as needed ( I was scared to add in the lemon juice (I mean whaaat?) but it's actually quite nice!)



serve over the chicken, or the chicken in the sauce, or the sauce in the chicken anyway you want really (:

Taxi xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment